Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cisco's Archive command

I have mentioned this before, but actually got to setting it up on my study rack today finally.

Because I have quite a bit of equipment now, and mixed Junos and Cisco, It's helpful now to have an archive of saved configs as I study.

There are several references I used for this:

from Cisco

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2013/10/30/understanding-cisco-auto-archive-feature-to-backup-configuration-file

And Daniel Patrick's RouterWrangler.com Blog:

http://www.routerwrangler.com/

it's a simple config:

archive
  path tftp://192.168.1.131/$h

The $h is a variable that will save the config with a name including the current hostname:



This pic is an example of one config saved without the $h variable, and one with.

This is basic setup. There are other options that you can set for the naming, and scheduled archiving.





4 comments:

  1. Cool! Glad that you shared it. I am also studying it right now. Keep posting.


    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today,
    yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It's pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete