Monday, August 26, 2013

Junipers Router JWEB

Since I posted the Cisco GUI for the 3560, I thought, since the J2300 came in today, that I'd post a pic of the Jweb interface page on the juniper. This is old as the hills, as this thing came with Junos 7.3, circa 2004.



It's pretty similar. One wonders why we don't use these more.

The rack is definitely looking more interesting, if not more useful.

The Cyclades Term server and the Adva Carrier ethernet switch came in today as well. I haven't begun to sort out the Cyclades yet, which is linux based, and the Adva came with a DC power supply, so I'll have to wait for the AC P/S I ordered today to come, assuming it was the right one. There's not a lot of info on the ADVA site, and my login credentials to the Adva customer portal is at work.

I can already tell that the Adva SFP's are not going to be the killer, but it's going to be the Juniper SFP's on whatever EX switch I end up getting that is going to break the bank.

I'll say one thing, physically, everything about a Juniper or an Adva device appears to be of higher quality than on any Cisco device I've had. The Adva, made in Germany, is on a much higher plane of quality than the other two. Probably comparing apples and oranges, but just an observation. I've now worked with Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel, Marconi, Nortel, and Adva routing and switching gear, and the Adva stuff seems to be more like Nortel used to be, if anything, over-engineered.

The rack with it's new additions.


I spent about an hour configuring the wrong T1 interface in the Juniper, thinking I had missed some crucial option in the T1-options, not realizing that T1-0/0/0 is actually T1-0/0/2, after the FE0/0/0, and FE0/0/1. anyway, I'm pinging J2300 to 1841 on T1 interfaces for the first time.

To contrast the config differences:

J2300

   t1-0/0/2 {
        mtu 1504;
        clocking internal;
        encapsulation ppp;
        t1-options {
            timeslots 1-24;
            buildout 0-132;
            line-encoding b8zs;
            framing esf;
        }
        unit 0 {
            family inet {
                address 10.0.0.3/24;

1841

interface Serial0/0/0
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
 encapsulation ppp
 no fair-queue
 service-module t1 cablelength short 110ft
 service-module t1 timeslots 1-24




No comments:

Post a Comment